Sunday, January 24, 2010

#3 Treasure Hunt.

My family are what I like to say, "Brand-minded." Instead of trying the new dish at the local family diner, Beef and Beer, my parents always opt for the chain restaurants. Looking for bargains at garage sales just isn't in my genes. Although that item of choice may cost more at Wal-mart, my family believes its a safer bet.

Yesterday, however, I denied my family traditions and stepped foot inside of a flea market. In other words, I raided other people's trash on the search for hidden treasures.

The atmosphere of the flea market reminded me of a county fair. I was surrounded by gigantic pickup trucks, redneck men wearing cowboy hats, canopy tents, and carts selling almost every kind of fried food imaginable. Somehow, I became pulled in.

I wanted to buy literally EVERYTHING! I was overwhelmed by the amount of random items. I thought to myself "this painting would look great in my bathroom" (if I had one, of course), and "that tropical plant would be a wonderful addition to the front porch." I ended up purchasing the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy for just $10. In addition, after 3 years of searching, I stumbled across the film, Serendipity.

After leaving the flea market extremely satisfied, I thought of a grand entertainment idea - Treasure hunt. First, I would find a friend, or even a date, to accompany me to the flea market. Then, each with $20 in hand we would split up and buy things for each other. Afterwards, my partner and I would share our gifts, and our adventures, with each other.

Get creative.

2 comments:

Tori said...

Ooooh! I'll be your date!

KatieNicole2690 said...

And meee too! Suitemate bonding time!