Saturday, January 23, 2010

#2 "Can I Take That Guy's Order?"

McDonalds Drive Thru Pictures, Images and Photos

At least once a week I endulge in the American Dream: fast food. I am a typical college student, so dollar menus are my best friend, and it so happens that Lakeland, Florida contains almost every fast food chain under the sun. Eighty-nine cent beef burritos at Taco Bell and my personal favorite, Wendy's $1 chocolate Frosty, are weekly bargains in my limited budget.

Being a positive person, however, I tend to look at the brighter side of things. Someday, I will have a great paying job (hopefully!) and I will be able to afford more than just the simple pleasures offered on the dollar menu. Someday, I will be able to afford combo meals for my entire family.

One day I will do the unthinkable. I will not only pay for my personal order, but I will pay for the order of the car behind me. It may not be the most admirable act of kindness, such as going on a missions trip, but for some reason it is something I've always wanted to do.

I might not get praise for this action, but does every kind act we do have to be advertised to the public? Maybe the person behind us barely has enough money to get by. Maybe a McDonald's meal is all they have or can afford. Maybe the person behind us really needs a new coat, but they need this meal in order to survive.

"But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you." Matthew 6:3-4

No comments: