Saturday, January 16, 2010

Embrace It.

What do we live for? If we are honest with ourselves, as we age, every aspect of life becomes so systematic, almost mundane. We groan as the alarm goes off, and finally, after hitting snooze for the third time, we gather up just enough energy to brush our teeth, grab a cup of coffee, and head off to the job we loathe. After being ordered around for a couple of hours we travel home, eat dinner, take care of the necessary household tasks, then fall asleep to the voice of David Letterman coming from the television set. Predictable.

Seriously...

Is this all life has become?

Is this what life was meant to be?

Sometimes I feel like my life is a to-do list. Sadly, my agenda happens to contain the same events each day. Its so simple. Wash. Rinse. Repeat. Actually, its too simple.

I don't believe, however, that life was meant to be predictable. I don't believe I am supposed to be so stuck in routine that I start walking through life half asleep.

Remember when life used to be an adventure? Remember the childlike spirit that lived deep inside of us? We'd explore the backyard, make forts in the living room, and annoy our parents with a series of seemingly unending questions. Most importantly, we did what we loved.

"They" say that there comes a point in our lives where we need to grow up. Of course there are things that we need to take care of as adults bills to pay, family to take care of, etc. But does that mean we need to just throw away our deepest desires? I really don't think it does.

We only get one shot at this life. The wonderful thing about it, however, is that everyday we always have the opportunity for a fresh start. It's time to start over. Its time to embrace life.


"That little bit of sadness in the mornings you spoke of? I think I know what it is. Perhaps you're not doing what you're supposed to be doing"
- M. Night Shyamalan's Unbreakable

1 comment:

Tori said...

I LOVEEE that Shyamalan quote. It reminds me of a quote from Sister Act II when she says "if when you wake up in the morning you can't think of anything but singing first, then you're supposed to be a singer." Most of the time, it's fear that gets in the way. (I'm guilty of that, myself.) But the awesome thing is that, most of the time, we're the only person holding us back. Which means...the adventure starts with us! Good stuff!